Before Harry had a chance to completely inflate with an allergic reaction we reached out to our dermatologist at UPenn. It seemed as though Harry was displaying strong signs that he had been suffering from environmental allergies all along. We scheduled a skin test only two days later.
|His bad side (side where he had swelling from itching)|
|Harry's patch and all the dots are his allergy injections :(|
Upon arrival we were given a packet of what Harry had gone through and a long list of Harry's allergies. Harry is highly allergic to grass, yeast, dust, and mites. But then he's also slightly allergic to a slew of other things, humans included. My dog is allergic to me. Here's the list:
On the bright side, we finally figured out what Harry's allergic to. From now on we have to dose Harry for the rest of his life with allergy drops. We opted for drops instead of shots because neither of us are comfortable with injections....but the drops are kind of a pain. Harry doesn't like me sticking anything but treats in his mouth so this is a process he's going to have to get used to. The first set of drops are diluted so that Harry's body starts to adapt to them. Then as we move on he'll be put on a stronger solution. In high season we'll likely have to pair it with a zyrtec.
Only a week or so of steroids left and then we'll see if the drops are working. I'm so happy we went ahead and did the test. It was a little expensive but I can't imagine having another year of breakouts, panicking about Harry's health. If you're thinking about doing this test, I highly recommend it!