Friday, April 19, 2013

Bad Dog II

About a month ago, we went through a "trustworthy" phase with Harry.  He was given free reign in the house after his lunchtime walk.  Figuring he'd be occupied by his puzzle treat dispensing ball he got for his birthday, we thought that Harry would entertain himself into a sleepy stupor.  That was not the case.


Above is our one week old IKEA Tullsta chair that we bought specifically to increase seating capacity for my annual Oscars gathering.  Harry thought it'd be a good time to completely eat the foam cushion and tear apart the cushion cover.  He thought it especially a good idea to do this on a Friday night, when his Mom and Dad just wrapped up a long week at work.

Unfortunately, IKEA doesn't sell replacement cushions and I didn't want to spend another $100 on a chair when the remaining parts of the IKEA chair were in perfect condition.  Harry's engagement was primarily with the cushion.  For somebody to cut foam to size and  create a cushion was going to cost at least as much as the chair itself.  So I decided I'd attempt to do it myself and went on every foam site I could find online.


It just so happens that as I was taking Harry on an evening walk before trash day that I spotted an old Victorian-esque type chair out on the sidewalk with a handwritten sheet of paper attached saying "FREE".  Although a funky chair would've been a sweet addition to our living room, I was really only interested in its foam cushion that was the exact same shape and size as our IKEA chair.  So I got our cushion for free...after a very intense smell check (we're good).

The tricky part now was how do I cover this thing?  I've never sewn something close to this shape, and I don't know how to attach zippers to things so making a removable cushion was out of my skill range.  It was after googling a bunch of how to's that I came across the perfect no sew option on e-how.  Wrap your item you wish to be upholstered, and pin it in place.  It doesn't have to be perfect, because the top is the only part that matters.

After picking up a so non-matching fabric (because I was afraid my attempt at matching would result in failure) in Fabric Row, I laid the fabric on my kitchen floor, place the foam in the middle, wrapped and pinned in place using safety pins.


It works for me, although the fabric can get bunched and rumpled after being sat on for a while.  But it required little to no effort and cost me only the price of the fabric...which is too expense on Fabric Row, but I digress.  Harry better keep his distance.




No comments:

Post a Comment